[extropy-chat] yo extropes

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 8 18:46:50 UTC 2007

At 09:58 AM 1/8/2007 -0800, Brian wrote:

>I honestly wasn't sure what Brett was thinking, and sincerely
>wanted to know why he thought Americans might not be so fully deserving
>of a Happy New Year greeting (I could have made guesses, but didn't want
>to).

Well, I'm also guessing, of course, but as a fellow Aussie I figured
I might make an informed guess at his intention. And yes, Australia
also has troops in Iraq, at the behest of a brown-nosing Prime
Minister, but currently the regard of the majority of Aussies for the
govt is apparently pretty low.

Moreover, I didn't read Brett's wry remark as directed at *all*
Yanks, but just at those who were not fully deserving etc. Aussies
are mostly well-disposed toward Americans (I married one and moved
here!) but we have an odd blend of anti-authoritarianism and
shrugging acceptance of the status quo that baffles even our own pundits.

Damien Broderick