[extropy-chat] Open Second Life client

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 08:03:54 UTC 2007

The Second Life <http://secondlife.com/> client source code has been
released yesterday 8 January under the GPL free software license. The
announcement on the official Linden blog is titled Embracing the
Inevitable<http://blog.secondlife.com/2007/01/08/embracing-the-inevitable/>:
"Releasing the source now is our next invitation to the world to help build
this global space for communication, business, and entertainment. We are
eager to work with the community and businesses to further our vision of our
space".

Inevitable in the sense that this was the only survival strategy for Second
Life. It enjoys market leadership at this moment, but there are competitors
on the horizon completing the development of more open systems e.g. Open
Croquet <http://opencroquet.org/> and Multiverse
<http://multiverse.net/>that will eventually permit users developing
and running their own virtual
worlds on their servers, which is, I think, what most serious operators
(game developers, large companies and organizations wishing to host virtual
intranets for employees and virtual extranets for partners and clients,
media groups) really want.

The open-sourcing of the Second Life client is of course discussed
everywhere in the blogosphere. Cory Doctorow