[extropy-chat] A future fit to live in?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jan 14 07:23:51 UTC 2007

At 01:09 AM 1/14/2007 -0500, Keith wrote:

>And *what* cause pleasure (motivating us) has been shaped by millions of
>years of evolution.  Look at it from the gene's viewpoint.  We get pleasure
>from increasing our status.  In the past males required some minimum status
>before they were consider as mates by the females.

There are more sources of pleasure than genital excitation and
status. Consider the subtle satisfactions enjoyed by those using the
"sneaky fucker" strategy (to use the technical term). Subserving, as
usual, the propagation of certain genes, and also the phenotypes for
which they code, and so on and on.

Damien Broderick