[extropy-chat] A future fit to live in?

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun Jan 14 16:16:30 UTC 2007

At 01:23 AM 1/14/2007 -0600, you wrote:
>At 01:09 AM 1/14/2007 -0500, Keith wrote:
>
> >And *what* cause pleasure (motivating us) has been shaped by millions of
> >years of evolution.  Look at it from the gene's viewpoint.  We get pleasure
> >from increasing our status.  In the past males required some minimum status
> >before they were consider as mates by the females.
>
>There are more sources of pleasure than genital excitation and
>status.

That was just an example.  Should have made that clearer.  Agree.  Can you
account for the pleasure people get from BDSM sex?  I think it is a side
effect of capture-bonding.

>Consider the subtle satisfactions enjoyed by those using the
>"sneaky fucker" strategy (to use the technical term). Subserving, as
>usual, the propagation of certain genes, and also the phenotypes for
>which they code, and so on and on.

Yeah.  Tons of strategies, some of them, like rape, really unpleasant.

The other thing I didn't mention is that we are not far from the end of
human genes being in the evolution game.

But everybody here knows that.

Keith