[extropy-chat] META: Re: what is probability?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 18 22:11:39 UTC 2007

That's fairly said. :)

>The existence of one active thread does not preclude the existence of
>other active threads.

But oddly enough, it does seem to. Especially in the absence of a few
quite different threads already in play. I suppose it's a bit like
two or three people loudly picking nits in the middle of a dinner
party, it seems to dry up the rest of the conversations and other
people tend to tighten their lips and leave early. It *shouldn't*
work that way in cyberspace, especially among intellectuals
accustomed to the seminar room, but we're creatures of habit and the
social body...

Damien Broderick