[extropy-chat] all quiet on the extrope front

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 17:56:26 UTC 2007

On 1/26/07, Randall Randall wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2007, at 11:33 PM, spike wrote:
> > Fred, soon none of the younger geeks will get unix jokes.  {8^D
>
> Are you kidding?  Linux and Mac OS X are gaining
> market share, are they not?  Both of these are unix,
> so unix will be around for some time. :)

Regrettably I have failed to read Spike's mind on this comment.

But perhaps he refers to the idea that if Linux and Mac OS X are
expanding in use (as I also agree) then it is not because the great
unwashed masses are learning to use the command line. It is because
Linux and Mac are increasing their GUI capabilities so that new users
never need to use the command line.

In the increasingly rare occasions when command line usage is required
to fix a Linux problem you can usually find a Linux geek in a
subterranean dungeon somewhere. You just have to use jelly babies and
coffee to lure him out, blinking in the unaccustomed daylight, to fix
it with a few magical commands. (You also have to put up with being
told at length how big an idiot you are, but that's a small price to
pay).   :)

BillK