[extropy-chat] all quiet on the extrope front

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jan 26 18:50:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 05:56:26PM +0000, BillK wrote:

> But perhaps he refers to the idea that if Linux and Mac OS X are
> expanding in use (as I also agree) then it is not because the great
> unwashed masses are learning to use the command line. It is because

There are advantages in OS X which make it also quite attractive
for developers. On the other hand, we've learned from the past
from many hard lessons to never, ever to get hooked on proprietary
systems again. So always maintain a fallback alternative.
You *will* need it. Eventually.

> Linux and Mac are increasing their GUI capabilities so that new users
> never need to use the command line.

Of course, many power users have to embrace the command line at
some point, whether willingly, or dragged in by the hair, kicking and screaming.

> In the increasingly rare occasions when command line usage is required
> to fix a Linux problem you can usually find a Linux geek in a

Frequently, to fix a problem which CLI use gave you in the first place...
But, if you don't like problems, OS X is a superior solution,
at least for time being.

> subterranean dungeon somewhere. You just have to use jelly babies and
> coffee to lure him out, blinking in the unaccustomed daylight, to fix
> it with a few magical commands. (You also have to put up with being
> told at length how big an idiot you are, but that's a small price to
> pay).   :)

You probably don't even recognize Linux users which don't fit above
stereotype as such. (Oh, and before asking one, first make sure she's
not a *BSD user... these will tear your head clean off, if you dare to
confuse them with a common Pygoscelis).