[extropy-chat] Remember when we used to have/be parents

Josh Cowan jcowan5 at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 30 04:39:38 UTC 2007

On Jan 29, 2007, at 11:17 PM, kevin.osborne wrote:

snip

>  it doesn't matter worth a damn what substrate the
> self-referential engine is running on, as long as it's grounded in
> that initial embryonic stage of personal development that we all
> share: it's called childhood. you can grow up and wire yourself
> backwards as much as you like but if you ever soiled yourself, sucked
> on a teat and went batshit at the sight of icecream then you're a done
> deal as a human.

Given a silicon substrate, minimal (zero?) cost to knowledge transfer
and an economic system based on abundance, will "parenting" or
"childhood" exist in practical terms? As a proud and happy parent I
would miss it. Of course, not having to go to the family reunion where
Aunt Beryl pinches your cheek would have it's advantages.