[extropy-chat] Elvis Sightings

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue Jan 30 21:36:16 UTC 2007

"Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience at pobox.com>

> Ben Goertzel AND Damien Broderick AND Eliezer Yudkowsky,
>have all told you  point-blank that there exists interesting
>scientific evidence and progress  for anomalous heat generation
>aka "cold fusion"

Evidence obtained by people I've never heard of refereed by someone I've
never head of reproduced by someone I've never heard of and published (or
worse just put on the web) in a journal I've never heard of. And evidence I
might add that leads precisely nowhere. Year after year these people do
their silly little experiments, but they might as well have kept their hands
in their pockets for 17 years because nothing has advanced a nanometer
in that time. Why do you suppose that is?

> Do we simply have holes in our brains?

With all due respect Eliezer that possibility strikes me as far more likely
than that the editors of Science and Nature and Physical Review Letters have
all had holes in their brains for the last 17 years. None of the top physics
journals publish cold fusion crap, you have to go to the sort of rag that
also publishes ESP stuff. Why do you suppose that is?

> This is unworthy of you, John.

No it is not. I make no apology for calling a spade a spade, and I'm not
very good at euphemisms. Cold fusion is BULLSHIT.

  John K Clark