[ExI] High resolution MRI

Neil Halelamien neilh at caltech.edu
Wed Jul 11 19:54:38 UTC 2007

The NeuroImage article is here, although I think it requires an
institutional subscription:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WNP-4NX8MST-7&_user=1010281&_coverDate=06%2F07%2F2007&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050264&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=1010281&md5=0d9d038b1101b4c523e05e0c7cdcd4e3

Here's the abstract:
Magnetic resonance microscopy (MRM), when used in conjunction with active
staining, can
produce high-resolution, high-contrast images of the mouse brain. Using MRM,
we imaged in
situ the fixed, actively stained brains of C57BL/6J mice in order to
characterize the
neuroanatomical phenotype and produce a digital atlas. The brains were
scanned within the
cranium vault to preserve the brain morphology, avoid shape distortions, and
to allow an
unbiased shape analysis. The high-resolution imaging used a T1-weighted scan
at 21.5 mm
isotropic resolution, and an eight-echo multiecho scan, post-processed to
obtain an enhanced T2
image at 43 mm resolution. The two image sets were used to segment the brain
into 33
anatomical structures. Volume, area, and shape characteristics were
extracted for all segmented
brain structures. We also analyzed the variability of volumes, areas and
shape characteristics.
The coefficient of variation of volume had an average value of 7.0. Average
anatomical images
of the brain for both the T1 weighted and T2 images were generated, together
with an average
shape atlas, and a probabilistic atlas for 33 major structures. These
atlases, with their associated
metadata, will serve as baseline for identifying neuroanatomical phenotypes
of additional strains,
and mouse models now under study. Our efforts were directed toward creating
a baseline for
comparison with other mouse strains and models of neurodegenerative
diseases.