[ExI] High resolution MRI

Neil Halelamien neilh at caltech.edu
Wed Jul 11 20:14:18 UTC 2007

Also, some of the things which distinguish this from a typical clinical MRI
and various other notes:

* unlike a lot of other mouse brain MRI research, the brains were left
inside the cranium, preventing structural distortion/damage
* the brains were fixed and treated with an MRI contrast agent
* they used a 9.4T magnet (in contrast, typical clinical MRI is maybe 1-3T)
* if I understand correctly, algorithms were then used to automatically
segment the different brain areas (33 total) apart from each other, and the
area data from the 6 brains was combined to form the atlas
* in general, the research is kind of neat, combining a number of
already-existing techniques to create a useful atlas