[ExI] High resolution MRI

Neil Halelamien neilh at caltech.edu
Wed Jul 11 20:20:58 UTC 2007

And actually, I just realized the authors have another article which might
be more relevant than the one I just linked:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WNP-4NS2GHH-B&_user=1010281&_coverDate=05%2F18%2F2007&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050264&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=1010281&md5=7ee12fd37f3f16b1609426fd70b456d4

Title: "High-throughput morphologic phenotyping of the mouse brain with
magnetic resonance histology"

Abstract: The Mouse Biomedical Informatics Research Network (MBIRN) has been
established to integrate imaging studies of the mouse brain ranging from
three-dimensional (3D) studies of the whole brain to focused regions at a
sub-cellular scale. Magnetic resonance (MR) histology provides the entry
point for many morphologic comparisons of the whole brain. We describe a
standardized protocol that allows acquisition of 3D MR histology (43-μm
resolution) images of the fixed, stained mouse brain with acquisition times
< 30 min. A higher resolution protocol with isotropic spatial resolution of
21.5 μm can be executed in 2 h. A third acquisition protocol provides an
alternative image contrast (at 43-μm isotropic resolution), which is
exploited in a statistically driven algorithm that segments 33 of the most
critical structures in the brain. The entire process, from specimen
perfusion, fixation and staining, image acquisition and reconstruction,
post-processing, segmentation, archiving, and analysis, is integrated
through a structured workflow. This yields a searchable database for archive
and query of the very large (1.2 GB) images acquired with this standardized
protocol. These methods have been applied to a collection of both male and
female adult murine brains ranging over 4 strains and 6 neurologic knockout
models. These collection and acquisition methods are now available to the
neuroscience community as a standard web-deliverable service.