[ExI] Regulation vs. Freedom

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jul 15 22:11:20 UTC 2007

At 08:27 AM 7/15/2007 -0700, Spike wrote:

>I am interested in what happens when the recycling promoters become aware
>that watering lawns actually saves water, or more precisely, recycles water.
>If we pull water out of wells and the river, irrigate lawns and fill
>swimming pools, the water evaporates, then goes into the atmosphere to fall
>again, thus being recycled using nature's tools: sunlight and plants.  What
>do we tell the children, who have been indoctrinated that watering lawns
>hurts Mother Earth?

You're being a bit naughty here, Spike. Extensive monocropping is not
a great idea anyway, and besides the water has often been gathered at
considerable cost--building dams, pipes, pumps, powering it all,
venting heat and pollutants, etc; yes, the water evaporates and
falls, but often not where it's needed; more importantly if the
water's coming from an ancient aquifer, you're also wasting your
birthright on a mess of boring foliage.

Damien Broderick