[ExI] water control

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 17 04:31:33 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Damien Broderick
> Subject: Re: [ExI] water control
>
> At 04:12 PM 7/16/2007 -0700, Spike wrote:
>

> >Texas has been
> >recently pounded by excess rain.  Pahdnuh.  But this is a problem that
> >can be solved.
>
> Here's more than you could possibly want to know
> about one plan based in part on naturally replenishable aquifers:
>
> http://www.swtexaslive.com/july2006/eason

Damien, you are surely more studied up on this than I, but I have a hard
time taking too seriously the notion than an underground lake could be
depleted permanently.  If water is drawn out of the ground thru a pipe, my
intuition is that water can be dropped back down there, thru the same pipe
if necessary, to be drawn up again when it is needed.  It seems to me that
aquifers could be used as capacitors for water, especially useful in times
of flooding such as the Texas events described by the local "news" agencies.

Your childhood home Australia is a dry continent.  The Australians should
have developed some really bitchin water control technologies.  We have much
to learn from them, ja?