[ExI] "Up against the warming zealots"...hmmm

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jul 23 13:09:06 UTC 2007

At 09:42 PM 7/23/2007 +0930, Emlyn wrote:

>Don't you notice that the kinds of people heavily concerned about
>environmental issues are the same people that react particularly
>negatively to transhumanist ideas?

Eugen's own tt list recently posted an url to:

Josie Appleton: Measuring the political temperature
http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/printable/3406/

< Today's 'global warming story' - where morality equates to carbon
calculating - owes more to the anxious zeitgeist than scientific
findings. >

A piece definitely worth reading carefully.

My pal Gregory Benford applauded Appleton's essay, and commented:

<I've been working on this problem for 15 years, & indeed, there is a
technofix... I'm working with others at Stanford, and we have
substantial private funding to study these ideas--just reflecting
sunlight. A NASA workshop on this is readily found at

http://amesevents.arc.nasa.gov/main/index.php?fuseaction=home

The economists who've studied this feel that cooling with such ideas
is inevitable. But we may not have much time. >

Damien Broderick