[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 07:11:32 UTC 2007

On 18/06/07, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> >

> > On 18/06/07, *Samantha Atkins* <sjatkins at mac.com
> > <mailto:sjatkins at mac.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     An autonomous AI thinking a million times or more faster than you
> >     is not a "tool".   As such minds become possible do you believe
> >     that all instances will be constrained to being controlled by
> >     ultra slow human interfaces?   Do you believe that in a world
> >     where we have to argue to even do stem cell research and human
> >     enhancement is seen as a no-no that humans will be enhanced as
> >     fast as more and more powerful AIs are developed?  Why do you
> >     believe this if so?
> >

> > Do you consider the problem of developing superhuman AI easier than
> > the problem of developing efficient human interfaces with the AI?
> >
> Technically or socio-politically?  I consider SAI much easier to develop
> when socio-political pressures are factored in and much more likely to
> be developed without significant interference.   Technically I think it
> is easier to develop brain/computer interfaces of considerable
> capability.  If cell-phones and such start being embedded inside our
> heads and if the cell phone companies and other players allow a fully
> open TCP-IP stack to the internet I might change by mind about what is
> politically most likely.

Neoluddite policies in Western countries can be pursued due to the masking
effect of those countries' economic and political power, but in the long run
economic and political power will be transferred to the technologically
superior. Your only problem is to avoid living in a country that will allow
itself to become obsolete.

--
Stathis Papaioannou