[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Jun 18 07:29:10 UTC 2007

On Jun 18, 2007, at 12:11 AM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> On 18/06/07, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> >

> > On 18/06/07, *Samantha Atkins* <sjatkins at mac.com
> > <mailto:sjatkins at mac.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Do you consider the problem of developing superhuman AI easier than
> > the problem of developing efficient human interfaces with the AI?
> >
> Technically or socio-politically?  I consider SAI much easier to
> develop
> when socio-political pressures are factored in and much more likely to
> be developed without significant interference.   Technically I think
> it
> is easier to develop brain/computer interfaces of considerable
> capability.  If cell-phones and such start being embedded inside our
> heads and if the cell phone companies and other players allow a fully
> open TCP-IP stack to the internet I might change by mind about what is
> politically most likely.
>
> Neoluddite policies in Western countries can be pursued due to the
> masking effect of those countries' economic and political power, but
> in the long run economic and political power will be transferred to
> the technologically superior. Your only problem is to avoid living
> in a country that will allow itself to become obsolete.

Do you want to engage the actual situation?  You asked me my opinion
on relative difficulty and I included the actual situation today.
Where exactly am I to find a more liberal and technophilic environment
with good levels of personal and economic freedom today?   I would
very much like to know.    While over the long run you are correct it
is not clear the US will lose its lead in many areas any time soon.
In the long run the AIs, being less contentious, will already be here.

- samantha