[ExI] camp statements

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at comcast.net
Sun Jun 24 04:16:45 UTC 2007

Michael M. Butler wrote:
> "Camp" was also the name of a company that produced foundation
> garments such as long-line girdles, appropriate for shaping
> transvestite males (possibly with padding added).
>
> The etymology is odd, and I think Chip Delaney's was mostly folk."Se
> camper" sounds good but I'd want to see more substantiation...

Yes exactly.  I've been intently paying attention to the usage of this
term "camp" as in "I'm in your camp" on that belief or POV for many
years now, and would have caught a usage like this instantly if I would
have heard it used anywhere.  But I have never heard anything like this
anywhere so I'm betting it is at least somewhat localized.  I'd bet
there isn't to much popular "support" for this wikipedia article outside
of certain locals.

That is going to be one of the the great things about a Canonized
wikipedia.  You'll know quantitatively just how reputable and common
various information like this is.   This will include "Canonizing" for
how much support there is in particular locals or groups like academics,
non gays, and so on. (simply by choosing something like an academic
Canonizer or whatever to see how academics canonize such.)  With
Wikipedia, you have no idea.

Brent Allsop