[ExI] camp statements

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jun 24 05:33:09 UTC 2007

At 10:16 PM 6/23/2007 -0600, Brent wrote:

>I've been intently paying attention to the usage of this term "camp"
>as in "I'm in your camp" on that belief or POV for many years now,
>and would have caught a usage like this instantly if I would have
>heard it used anywhere.  But I have never heard anything like this
>anywhere so I'm betting it is at least somewhat localized.  I'd bet
>there isn't to much popular "support" for this wikipedia article
>outside of certain locals.

Don't just guess. This is the information age, comrade. Try checking
a standard dictionary. Merriam-Webster, say (unless you suspect it's
been got at by certain locals):

Main Entry:3camp
Function:noun
Etymology:origin unknown
1 : exaggerated effeminate mannerisms exhibited especially by homosexuals
2 a : something so outrageously artificial, affected, inappropriate,
or out-of-date as to be considered amusing b : a style or mode of
personal or creative expression that is absurdly exaggerated and
often fuses elements of high and popular culture <a movie that
celebrates camp>

Main Entry:4camp
Function:adjective
: of, relating to, being, or displaying camp <camp send-ups of the
songs of the fifties and sixties -- John Elsom>

Main Entry:5camp
Function:intransitive verb
: to engage in camp : exhibit the qualities of camp <he...was
camping, hands on hips, with a quick eye to notice every man who
passed by -- R. M. McAlmon>

But hey, whatever.

Damien Broderick