[ExI] Next moment, everything around you will probably change

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 17:29:12 UTC 2007

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:10:39 -0400, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net>
wrote:

> Supporting your point, there is no essence of personal identity, but
> only perceived identity assigned by any observer in terms of features
> salient due to their utility with regard to the dynamics of social
> organisms.

I don't know if you consider yourself an observer of your own identity,
but a little introspection will reveal that you can, at any given moment,
identify something concrete about yourself. Namely, you can identify
something that you were willing to do in that moment.

As you introspect on your will in this present moment, *here* for example,
you discover among other things that you were willing to sit at your
computer, in a certain chair, and to read and to comprehend this sentence
that is just now ending.

Of relevance to this thread, your will is always unique. It cannot be
shared even by an exact duplicate, because not even an exact duplicate can
occupy your space.

This is all I meant when I wrote that your will is your essence in any
given moment.

-gts