[ExI] agency-based personal identity

Thomas thomas at thomasoliver.net
Thu Jun 28 08:25:25 UTC 2007

Gordon wrote:

> [...] Most of what we will is willed unconsciously. [...]

It sounds to me like this phenomenal will you speak of means about
the the same thing as when Jef cites predetermined [default] values
as the most observable and necessary attributes of personhood.  I
prefer Jef's way of expressing it because my meaning for will
includes consciousness.  While we can function temporarily without
self awareness activity in the superfrontal gyrus, (http://
www.newscientist.com/article/dn9019-watching-the-brain-switch-off-
selfawareness.html) I agree that "Self-awareness [is] regarded as a
key element of being human."

So I guess I agree that will is essential to personhood, but not the
way you mean it.  -- Thomas

Thomas at ThomasOliver.net