[extropy-chat] AI and the law already

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 18:27:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:46:14 -0400, Anders Sandberg <asa at nada.kth.se>
wrote:

> One might imagine a future version where there is indeed a lawyer in the
> system,but most of the interaction is going on anyway through the AI.

Yes. In that situation I would hope and expect no serious legal
challenges; I would guess the courts would uphold the attorney's right to
practice law using his AI as a 'tool' for servicing clients. Nobody seems
to question tax accountants who use similar but less advanced software
tools today.

> At that point I guess the law has to become more firm on how tight the
> coupling has to be
> between the lawyer and the AI; likely it would not be enough that the AI
> was doing all the work and the lawyer was just sipping tea all day.

Probably so. It will be interesting to watch these legal developments.

Eventually the judges could end up sipping tea along with the lawyers... :)

-gts