[extropy-chat] AI and the law already

Jay Dugger jay.dugger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 19:55:24 UTC 2007

1451 Monday, 12 March 2007

On 3/12/07, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:46:14 -0400, Anders Sandberg <asa at nada.kth.se>
> wrote:
>
> > One might imagine a future version where there is indeed a lawyer in the
> > system,but most of the interaction is going on anyway through the AI.
>
> Yes. In that situation I would hope and expect no serious legal
> challenges; I would guess the courts would uphold the attorney's right to
> practice law using his AI as a 'tool' for servicing clients. Nobody seems
> to question tax accountants who use similar but less advanced software
> tools today.
>
> > At that point I guess the law has to become more firm on how tight the
> > coupling has to be
> > between the lawyer and the AI; likely it would not be enough that the AI
> > was doing all the work and the lawyer was just sipping tea all day.
>
> Probably so. It will be interesting to watch these legal developments.
>
> Eventually the judges could end up sipping tea along with the lawyers... :)

More likely we end up with a market for human identities as the
"silent partner" in all manner of contracts that might otherwise only
involve machine-to-machine communication and mediation.

The germ of a science fiction short story lies in that idea, but it
someone might already have written it. David Gerrold wrote something
very similar in his book, A Day for Damnation about "The Baby Hooper
Dollar Bill." (title?)

--
Jay Dugger
http://jaydugger.suprglu.com