[extropy-chat] Posthumanism vs. Transhumanism

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed May 2 04:31:12 UTC 2007

nvitamore at austin.rr.com wrote:
> While I was away at a conference there was some discussion about posthumans
> and posthumanism.  In my research in preparing my paper on BioArt, many of
> the theoreticians and curators I spoke with referred to the posthuman and
> discounted the transhuman (including isms).  I have known for some time
> that there is an academic dismissing of transhumanism and an embracing of
> posthumanism, in large part due to Kathryn Hayles book which does not cover
> transhumanism.  This book also does not mention Max's published article "On
> Becoming Posthuman" and also importantly Robert Peppernell who wrote "The
> Posthuman Condition."  I know that UK professors are annoyed at Hayles'
> borrowing ideas from Pepperell and not recognizing him.
>
> Many of the reasons for this and I'd like to discuss it with you all in
> this thread. First I'd like to hear your thoughts if you have any.

I don't have many on this topic as I have not read some of the works you
mentioned.  It does seem as if many have less trouble creating
interesting posthuman imaginings than imagining how we get there from
here.  To get there from here we much go through transhumanism.   Unless
of course Eliezer or someone similar creates the Friendly AI that
uplifts us pretty much in one go.  But I don't believe that will work.
It is like ultra high  acceleration.  There is no bridge, no
development, no growing into between who you are, much less who the vast
majority is, and there in such a scenario.   I don't think many would
survive or survive with any meaningful sense of continuity.

- samantha