[ExI] pronunciation standards and cow lifeforms

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu May 3 13:44:35 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, spike wrote:
<snip>
> Since you mention cows and "carfs," we often see references to cowboys,
> usually in the rugged independent persona of the American cowboy.  We can
> picture an American cowboy, with the leather chaps, the bandana, the six
> shooter etc.  But nearly every country on this planet devours beef, so they
> must have cows too, so they need cowboys.  Would not the European cowboy or
> cowhuman have all the same needs as her American counterpart, and would not
> the European cowpeople develop all the same characteristics?  Would not the
> European cowperson share much of the same equipment, and develop the same
> attitudes, a similar independent cussedness?

Nope, pardner. We euro cowboys tend to frequent discos and nightclubs.  :)

Cowboys developed in the Americas and Australia, where the climate was
dry and grass sparse and large herds of cattle required vast amounts
of land in order to obtain sufficient forage. The need to cover
distances greater than a person on foot could manage gave rise to the
development of the horseback-mounted cowboy. They were also used on
large cattle drives to markets or railheads.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy>

Europe has pretty well been fenced in since before the US began, and
has lush green grassy meadows for the cows.

BillK