[ExI] The void left by deleting religion

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri May 4 22:03:35 UTC 2007

On 5/4/07, Torstein Haldorsen <torsteinhaldorsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, while I believe this idea is quite profound, and find it intellectually
> pleasing to have a "religion" of my own design, this could easily be
> entirely normal delusions of grandeur. I don't know, but i really love this
> project, I believe in the potential of the idea, and i would love to be able
> to work on it full time, somehow, some time in the future.

I share many of the values that you've expressed here.  My intent was
to provide some additional context for your consideration, and I would
suggest that you consider also the related suggestions from Keith as
to the seductive features of cults.

You might also consider that a defining trait of religions is that
they tend to reduce, rather than expand the range of awareness and
self-determination of their individual members, always with promises
of a greater good.

To the extent that your project expands rather than restricts the
decision-making context of its members, and increases rather than
decreases their ability to determine their own future, they you'll
have my support.

- Jef