[ExI] The void left by deleting religion

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sat May 5 19:14:23 UTC 2007

On 5/4/07, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> You obviously believe that the truth is better than falsehood and you're
> probably right. However, it is at least logically possible that widespread
> belief in a Noble Lie might have a net positive effect. In that case, is it
> still better to destroy the Lie regardless of the consequences?

This would be a conflict between utilitarian morality and ethical
constraints. My answer would be that I am ethically probihited from lying
even if I think it will have positive utility; but I am not ethically
prohibited from keeping my mouth shut and refraining from comment either
way, so that is what I would do.