[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Wed May 23 01:39:01 UTC 2007

From: "spike" <spike66 at comcast.net>
To: "'Lee Corbin'" <lcorbin at rawbw.com>; "'ExI chat list'"
<extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>

> Latinos haven't retired Jesus' jersey as have the Anglicans, so they often
> give their sons this name.  Of course it is pronounce hey-soos, but this
> brings up an interesting question.  When one has a two syllable name, it
> is often shortened to the first, accompanied by "hey" when one greets the
> familiar friend.  So David and Joseph might be greeted with hey Dave, or
> hey Joe.  So how does one do likewise with Jesus Ramirez?  Hey Hey?

One would do it ... just as one would do likewise with preppie names like
Astor (Hey Ass), Ayer (Hey Ay), Bayard (Hey Bay), Brodie (Hey Bro), Cabot
(Hey Cab), Creighton (Hey Crey), Grayson (Hey Gray), Howland and Howell (Hey
How), Hawkens (Hey Haw), Leyden (Hey Ley), Major (Hey May), Manning (Hey
Man), Sayer (Hey Say), Haydon (Hey Hay).

BTW, most "Latinos" in the USA - are they not essentially "American"?