[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed May 23 18:07:55 UTC 2007

At 10:14 AM 5/23/2007 -0700, PJ wrote:

>It's taken me a long time and
>repeated self-bashings on the email brain to learn that irony/satire
>doesn't translate here and especially not with some readers....  FYI, I'm even
>more ironic, facetious, self-deprecating and subversive in person.

Anyone alert to this coloration will find it very common among the
few Aussie posters to this list (with the exception, perhaps, of
Brett, whose raging earnestness gets in the way of laconic irony). Of
course PJ spent some years in New Zealand; perhaps she was
contaminated by Southern Hemisphere attitudes! (I doubt it; I suspect
this has always been her charm.)

Damien Broderick