[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 18:30:31 UTC 2007

Here's something that bugs me:

Why do people say "near-miss" when they really mean "near-collision"?

If I ever witness an automobile accident and feel the need to to report
it, I imagine the conversation will go something like this:

"Hello, 911 operator? I'm calling to report a terrible near-miss at the
corner of Main and Broadway. Send an ambulance quick!"

"Umm, why the ambulance? You said it was a near-miss."

"That's right, it was a near-miss! The red car ran through the stoplight
and nearly missed the white car."

-gts