[ExI] History of Slavery

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun May 27 18:41:44 UTC 2007

Olga writes

> Black people like Sowell really get me because they do not address
> systematic inequalities.

I would argue that he does. Now it is true that he does not simply
stick it to white people as being plain bastards and treating everyone
else wrong because they're just wicked.  ON the contrary, he
explains that a certain lower, unfortunate class of blacks has
behaved---thanks to an inheritance of lower class southern
redneck culture---in ways that most middle class people of any
race will abhor.

> They must realize that complete independence inside white society
> is impossible and counterproductive for any progressive agenda for
> black people,

Perhaps you should actually *try* reading "White Liberals and Black
Rednecks"?  It's very factually based.  He's an extremely competent
historian, and a superb writer.

> so they maintain the status quo - therefore
> guaranteeing that no real progress will ever be made.  Perhaps they've even
> been convinced (or have convinced themselves) that that is really the way to
> do.

Sorry---you've lost me.  My fault, probably, because I've John Clarked
your phrases and sentences.  So you mean "These black people like Sowell
try to maintain the status quo - therefore guaranteeing that no progress will
be made"?

Well, if that's what you are saying, it's quite wrong. Sowell would LOVE
to see all black people go to the black colleges that he goes on and on
about, and what highly intelligent and sophisticated people emerge as
a result. And he would LOVE for the media to stop parading the rudest
and crudest black people they can find as "typical".

Do you want to change the subject line?

Lee