[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Wed May 30 07:09:17 UTC 2007

> > That's because the dictator's interests and his genes interest are not
> the
> > > same; however a dictator would do everything he can to increase his
> power
> > > because if he doesn't take advantage of every opportunity some
> dictator
> > > wannabe will.
> >
> > Couldn't you say the same about his expansionary urges as his
> reproductive
> > urges? Men who tried to have as many children as possible would over the
> > years have come to dominate the gene pool,
>
> I think that men did try to have as many children as possible, for a
> while, until
> women wised up. (I mean that quite seriously;  it's a theory of
> evolutionary
> history that an "arms-race" developed between women who can have only
> relatively few children, and men who can have many).

With modern reproductive technologies, it would be possible for women in
power to have thousands of children, and men to have many thousands, perhaps
even millions. And that's without even considering the possibilities raised
by cloning. Therefore, given enough time, a human will arise who will take
advantage of these opportunities, and that human will dominate the world. Do
you think this is going to happen soon? If not, why assume it is any more
likely that AI's will take over the world, especially in view of the fact
that they won't start out with the desire to survive and reproduce which is
basic to every naturally evolved organism?

--
Stathis Papaioannou