[ExI] Other thoughts on transhumanism and religion

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 21:44:30 UTC 2007

Hi Samantha,

I hear you. The importance of the next 50 years has a
tendency to weigh heavily on people like us
Tranhumanists, because we understand what's at stake.
I of course, would love to survive to be a part of the
greatness rather than die beforehand, but what
actually weighs more heavily on me is the unachieved
potential of humanity if we fall to a disaster. For
the sentient beings of the past and present to have
endured so much and for humanity to have come so
incredibly close to the kind of existence we should
have had from the beginning, the possiblity that there
could be an extinction and that it was all for nothing
is sometimes more than I can bear to think about.

But, I think there is still good reason to be hopeful.
We probably have another 15-20-25 years or so to
prepare before we start to reach the critical
thresholds. The key will be in actually *being*
prepared. It can be done. I think you and I have
different ideas about how to proceed from here for
that purpose, but I think that our overall objectives
aren't too dissimilar. For example, I believe that
under the surface appearances, most people are at
least adequately rational (but I admit that I could be
wrong on this point) and that we can still reach a
positive Singularity by traditional (Kurzweilian)
progress. But the point is, that there is still reason
to be hopeful - we can do this!! :-) . Our chances
will be improved by sending a positive, optimistic,
but not unrealistic message to the people (At least
IMO).

Best,

Jeffrey Herrlich