[ExI] "traditional (Kurzweilian) progress"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu May 31 23:22:01 UTC 2007

At 02:44 PM 5/31/2007 -0700, Jeffrey Herrlich wrote:

>that we can still reach a
>positive Singularity by traditional (Kurzweilian)
>progress.

For the luvva dog! I like Ray and appreciate his PR efforts, but if
we're going to fling about words like "traditional" the name to
acknowledge is Vernor Vinge, who got the word out there 20 fucking
years earlier. The phrase of choice, especially here where we the
few, the proud, the lonely forerunners know what we're talking about
is... "by traditional (Vingean) progress".

I know this is a narrow little meat-monkey matter, and that Vernor
probably doesn't care less, but humans work to a surprising degree by
mutual acknowledgement, especially in the intellectual realm. Give
the man his due.

Damien Broderick