[ExI] Question on Vacuum fluctuations and Non-Zero Energy Empty Space:

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 04:14:46 UTC 2007

On Sunday 30 September 2007 22:40, Andres Colon wrote:
> Q. Why don't vacuum fluctuations violate the second law of
> thermodynamics?

A friend says: "The uncertainty principle can be applied here. Usually
the uncertainty principle has to do with velocity and position. In this
case it would deal with energy and time."

But I think a more interesting question is "how can we reconcile the
localized conservation of energy with our uncertainty as to whether or
not energy is conserved on the much larger macroscopic scales of our
universe." Thoughts?

- Bryan