[ExI] Fascist America in 10 Easy Steps

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sat Oct 6 04:18:31 UTC 2007

James writes

> The reaction which individuals have to statements like "911 was almost
> certainly an inside job," primarily reflects their personal worldview more
> than it reflects their rationality.  One's worldview will be different if
> their beliefs include examples of secret government wars, cover-ups, ops,
> etc.  Such a person might rationally view such a statement with less
> skepticism than someone who's worldview discounted such beliefs.

That seems quite right to me.  But what do you think is behind their
having "such [aberrant] beliefs", if anything?  That is, what caused them
to have unusual beliefs and not you or me?  I'd like to know your
opinion.

> For example, if you grew up in an environment where the Police are looked
> upon with fear and suspicion, and your only personal experience with them
> includes being intimidated, roughed up, and degraded by them, then your
> worldview will result in less skepticism about statements like "the police
> framed O.J. Simpson" than someone from an opposite background.

Quite right.

> So, when someone makes a statement like "911 was almost certainly an inside
> job," we can probably speculate on their worldview with some accuracy.  This
> however, tells us nothing about the veracity of the statement.  Rather than
> condemning someone for making such a statement, IMHO we should either try to
> understand their worldview or ask them for the facts upon which they base
> their opinions.  Either answer will help broaden our understanding,
> regardless of the ultimate veracity of the statement.

Of course.  But we still want to know *how* they got their views. The ultimate
goal, of course, is that we might find a means of judging the likelihood that
our *own* views are bonkers.

Lee