[ExI] What is meant here by "fascism"?

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Mon Oct 8 04:29:51 UTC 2007

James writes

> ...I think Wikipedia (as usual) does an adequate job of explaining what is meant
> by Fascism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism ):"Fascism is an
> authoritarian political ideology (generally tied to a mass movement) that
> considers individual and other societal interests subordinate to the needs
> of the state."

Fine.

> If you're trying to infer from my post that I only consider America or
> Americans to be fascist, that would be totally incorrect.

Glad to hear it. Then you'll join me, I imagine, in noting how
strange it is that the word is never used except as a pejorative
against certain patriotic (or hyper-patriotic) Americans and
their allies. How strange.  Especially since the people in question
*never* use the term to describe themselves.

Are people on this list really so vocabulary-challenged that
for a pejorative they need to reach back to Mussolini's Italy?

As the wikipedia article says:

    Fascist as epithet

    The word fascist has become a slur throughout the political
    spectrum following World War II (WWII), and it has been uncommon
    for political groups to call themselves fascist. In contemporary
    political discourse, adherents of some political ideologies tend
    to associate fascism with their enemies, or define it as the
    opposite of their own views. In the strict sense of the word,
    Fascism covers movements before WWII, and later movements are
    described as Neo-fascist.

    Some have argued that the term fascist has become hopelessly
    vague over the years and that it has become little more than a