[ExI] Top ten dumbest remarks

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 10:25:44 UTC 2007

On 09/10/2007, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> To answer your question: both.  I doubt medication was given without
> any reinforcement suggestion (which would cloud the issue of whether
> it is the medication that produces more rational thinking, or the
> medication lowers one's ability to ignore the suggestion to
> 'normative' thinking.)
>
> If we have a difference of opinion and I buy you a two martini lunch
> while I make my case, there is a good chance you will be more
> "reasonable" or "rational" because you start to see things my way.
> That does not make a case for alcohol being a 'pro-rational' drug.

Antipsychotics are not like alcohol. You have to take them
consistently for usually a period of weeks to months before there is
any antipsychotic effect, while side-effects manifest immediately.
Suggestibility has nothing to do with it, as the patients may be
literally violently opposed to any suggestion that they may be
experiencing delusions, or any attempt to give them medication. Even
after their delusions go away they frequently insist that they just
changed their mind - that they were never deluded and the medication
had no role to play. This (and dislike of side-effects) is why they
keep stopping their medications and relapsing.

--
Stathis Papaioannou