[ExI] robugs

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Oct 11 11:59:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 06:31:30PM -0700, Spike wrote:

> Ja, it was a joke.  That was why the original post contained a {8^D.  I
> thought it entertaining that these protestors thought themselves interesting

UAVs (and even military jets overflight) are becoming common to document
and protesters. But mostly to intimidate them. Vee are vatching you, and
ve haff vays, you know. Do your guys are as good at demolitioning your
constitution as ours? Well, it's a contest that only can't be won by
not playing.

> enough to deploy expensive surveillance gear.  I can see more of them than I

UAVs are now cheap enough that a single person can buy one.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=uav

And some people will soon learn to fear the open skies, and jam certain
frequencies, GPS included. What fun! What next, IEDs?

> care to know about from a safe distance with no optical equipment.

You can't build a profile without records. And biometrics is next,
and area denial (Raytheon style) next still. Until the streets are clear,
and there's law, and order. Well, perhaps not law, but certainly order.

> > They actually were big dragon flies. They are often seen in Washington...
>
> I grew up in Florida, where dragonflies are often huge.  Protestors that
> come to Washington from other parts are often astounded by these monsters.
> I thought it hilarious in any case.

That doesn't look like dragonflies to me

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2007/10/04/VI2007100400958.html

> > 1) Why use an expensive experimental insect camera on anti-war
> > protesters?...
>
> Roger that.  One of the protestors carried a sign that read "Stop the war
> now!"  Well, we ARE stopping the war now.  Wait until they see what happens
> when we stop stopping the war.

I hope this is another tongue-in-cheek, because you sure can't turn fish
soup back into aquarium again. Or can someone raise over a million dead?
I don't think so.

I do have some opinions about this, but they're illegal in several places,
and I don't want to taint y'all by association.