[ExI] pentagon wants orbiting solar power stations

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Tue Oct 16 22:23:03 UTC 2007

At 01:47 PM 10/16/2007, "Dagon Gmail" wrote:
>The immense difficulty of creating an industry in near-space,
>with development of lunar or NEAR asteroid ores, as well as
>harvesting solar energy is so incredibly disheartening it gives
>me a nauseous feeling. My gut is telling me things are going
>all wrong.

I agree with you, but I think it is instructive to see why.  It isn't
because of physical reality, there are probably several ways you
could build a huge space industry, the key to all pre nanotech ways
is a low cost way to get into space.  My favorite is a moving cable,
stepped taper, space elevator, partly because it is highly
efficient.  But really huge lasers for laser launch offer another
possibility.  The problems are at other levels, in my opinion more
intractable levels because they are poorly understood.  (In some
cases, discount economics gives wrong answers.)

>It is all but certain that we will need to take this step, barring
>a Kurzweilean quantum leap in AI/Nanotech/longevity advances.
>I am concerned to rely in my expectations on any singularities,
>it would be just too convenient. I really want to see industry
>and accompanying economical growth start real fast, as I
>am really starting to get nervous about the Peak Oil issue.

With good reason.  The consequence of economic growth below
population growth leads to those populating becoming xenophobic and
war-like.  There is a growing realization that solving terrorism
(driven now by this underlying situation) will probably require a few
billions of people to die.  Marvin Cetron discusses this around the
edges in an article in the May/June issue of "The Futurist" earlier
this year.  This situation is likely to come about well before the
most thoughtful predictions of the singularity (Ray Kurzweil, mid 2040s).

Keith Henson

PS  I have been working on a description of space elevator and SPS
construction in the context of part of a novel.  If you want to read
it and comment, ask.