[ExI] [geek] good commercial svn hosts?

Khaled Aly ka.aly at luxsci.net
Tue Sep 4 04:46:29 UTC 2007

Gents

I worked for years for a multinational network service provider. Providers
are now
emphasizing IT hosting services as bandwidth got cheaper and connctivity
services aren't generating revenues as used to. Any service could be
outsourced by a client, to cut cost as seems to be the case here too, and
hosted by the service provider where it can be managed and supported
centrally with other clients' services.
Messaging is one example, but another interesting one is the security
applicances themselves. Some clients choose to host their firewalls and
anti-virus
software at a "trusted third party" service provider. If they do, they have
to 'trust' the third party, which configures and maintains their appliances.

Typically those clients would be also IP VPN clients too. Oherwise, any
remote access through the Internet is via IPsec VPN,
which is not costly. It's really the client's decision to trade
eficiency/cost vs. trust. I know that didn't answer the main question of
what are suitable hosts as I haven't come across hosted source control. But
I mean to say that many enterprises at all scales do trust their
sensitive traffic and IT services to reputable third parties. It's a choice.

Re remote access, the company staff was dispersed all over, for historical
reasons. They also promoted teleworking. I worked for a year in a virtual
team of 10 people located in several countries, out of home office, within
IPSec tunnel and using a soft IPT with an ext. nr. Had no complaint and the
setup worked perfectly. Of course there was the benefit of the large scale
consistent setup and the round-the-clock internal 'IT' support.

Cheers
ka