[ExI] Will the Singularity take an unexpected path?

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Fri Sep 14 21:48:59 UTC 2007

John K Clark wrote:
> I think the title of this thread is very odd, if the Singularity didn't take
> an unexpected path then it wouldn't be a singularity.

Ah, well that would be the most unexpected path of all, wouldn't it?

(You cannot manipulate ignorance as if it were knowledge; a blank map
does not correspond to a blank territory; and if the Singularity
refers to a form of ignorance, you should not, in the same sentence,
treat it as a future event.)