[ExI] People of Faith, not

Khaled Aly ka.aly at luxsci.net
Tue Sep 18 10:56:25 UTC 2007

Emlyn

I agree with you in the sense of the common use of the term. In The American
Heritage dictionary, "Faith: Confident belief; trust. Belief in God;
religious conviction." None of these definitions explicitly precluded the
use of reasoning to conclude or affirm faith. The common practices (probably
in every faith) is what brings the common definition. For sure you can drive
evidence on certain aspects, but not all and you'd always be left with many
axioms. I just don't see faith and reasoning contradictory. It's a choice to
make them so.

I'll stop to avoid involving religion in the discussion! And you heard Eugen
:)

Cheers
ka

Note: I didn't mean to defend (neither attack) atheism, but just to make a
point that an atheist may be able to present good reasoning, that is not
necessarily correct.