[ExI] People of Faith, not

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 04:44:22 UTC 2007

On 17/09/2007, Khaled Aly <ka.aly at luxsci.net> wrote:

> People of faith are those who reason and can stand to argue their
> reasoning (i.e. faith). On this basis, Atheists are people of faith since
> they have some theory to backup their belief.
<snip>

> Cheers
> Khaled

Well, no. I think you are defining terms differently to the accepted meaning.

>From Dictionary.com, Faith is "belief that is not based on proof".
That's what the faithful mean too. People of faith explicitly eschew
reason, in favour of believing something for which there is no
evidence (ie: the existence of a creator god). To the extent that they
do reason about their faith, it is with the implicit acceptance of a
whole lot of axioms, which are never open to debate (eg: the Bible).

Emlyn

> > David C. Harris wrote:
>

> > Damien Broderick wrote:
> >> I was musing here a while back about the need for a good term to
> >> place in contrast with the sanctimonious "People of Faith"--
> > About 5 years back, we in the freethought community in the SF Peninsula
> > area liked the word Reason, as in
> > Communities of Reason
> > Reasonable People
> > People of Reason
> >
> > I also like the word Evidence, which contrasts nicely with Faith.
> > People of Evidence, People in Evidence, People with Evidence.
> >
> > In the same spirit of how the scientific method differs from faith,
> > People who Test, People who Check, People who Wonder, People of
> > Falsifiable Ideas (OK, not catchy).

Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com