[ExI] Fascist America, in 10 Easy Steps

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Sep 29 17:21:17 UTC 2007

At 12:40 AM 9/29/2007 -0700, Olga wrote:

>Naomi Wolf was public, all right ... but I never got the sense that she was
>ever thought of as much of an intellectual:
>
>http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4156/is_20060122/ai_n16015894

Wolf graduated magna cum laude from Yale, and was a Rhodes scholar at
Oxford. It's true that Paglia denounces her as someone who "cannot
write a coherent paragraph. This is a woman who cannot do historical
analysis... Naomi Wolf is an intelligent woman. She has been
ill-served by her education." This doesn't mean she's not a "public
intellectual"--just that she's one with whom some disagree and of
whom some disapprove as a poor instance of the breed. Paglia, of
course, comes in for similar treatment from other quarters.

Wolf's vision of Jesus and the lessons she draws from it are
unpalatable to me, too--but would you say Carl Jung was not an
intellectual? Thomas Aquinas?

Personally, I think that her article on "fascism in America" is
overwrought and undernourished, but the elements of her topic are
worth some discussion.

Damien Broderick