[ExI] Most Critical Review of Transhumanism

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Tue Apr 8 14:10:20 UTC 2008

At 03:59 AM 4/8/2008, Stefano wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
>
> > In your view, what do you find as the most in-depth, critical and
> > analytical criticism of transhumanism?
>
>Mmhhh. In the sense of most extensive or complete? What about
><http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000CDG8LA/qid=1135473833/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-0708899-0276623?v=glance&s=books>The
>Biotech Century? Of course, philosophically speaking there are
>plenty of deeper or more interesting works, but Rifkin's book is
>really full of data, historical details, analyses, etc.

I don't think Rifkin mentions transhumanism in his book (does
he?)    It is necessary that the criticism is of transhumanism, not
just biotech, nanotech or genetic engineering.  For example Erik
Davis in his book Techgnosis is journalistic and full of hype.  He
comments on H+, and especially Extropy, were critical but his
observations and comments are full of assumptions rather than a
critical examination of H+.

Thanks Stefano,
Natasha