[ExI] bees again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Apr 19 18:33:54 UTC 2008

A couple weeks ago I posted about getting people to sign up for observing
bees.  Coincidentally at about the same time, a local school the San
Francisco State U, came up with a better idea than mine.  They get people to
sign up as observers, then they send the volunteers a packet of sunflower
seeds for planting and watching the bees.  These hardy plants grow
everywhere in the states, need little or no special care, and provide an
excellent standard for comparison.

http://www.greatsunflower.org/

The interesting thing is how I found out about it.  My folks are visiting
this weekend from the farm in Oregon.  I mentioned my idea of a posting a
website where people would post their bee observations.  My mother told me
about the agriculture agent having made contact with the local farmers and
provided the sunflower seeds for planting on each farm.  If the farmer isn't
willing or able to post the results, the plan is to have the farmers drop
the seeds near enough to the road such that the ag agent can drive by and
make the necessary observations.

http://www.miamiherald.com/home/story/473898.html

Here's a page with a lot of graphics:

http://www.helpthehoneybees.com/#/home/home/

So my every idea was preceeded by a better idea by SFSU.

Ecclesiastes 1 verse 9 hath uttered: The thing that hath been, is that which
shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is
no new thing under the sun.  flower.

{8-[

I have already ordered my sunflower seeds.  {8-]