[ExI] Slavery in the Future

ablainey at aol.com ablainey at aol.com
Mon Apr 21 01:37:49 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>

>Maybe emotions are optional for toasters, but not for entities with
more complex cognitive abilities. It's the same argument as for
consciousness: nature is interested only in behaviour, not internal
states, so emotions must have some utility or be a byproduct of
animal-like intelligence.

--
Stathis Papaioannou

I think it would need to be a very specific application for emotions to be warranted.
Nature has only given us our emotions as they provide an evolutionary edge in some way
or form. Love and Jealousy being examples that don't need further explanation.
I don't see any evolutionary advantages for a cognitivley complex emotional toaster ;o)

Alex