[ExI] The Upload Game

ben benboc at lineone.net
Sat Apr 26 00:25:07 UTC 2008

Stuart LaForge said:

> It relates to whether an otherwise healthy individual has
> any rationale to destructively upload since presumably no
> subjective spark jumps the gap. Or does it?

Aaarrgghh! <bangs head against desk several times>

WHAT spark? WHAT gap?

What on earth are you talking about? This is dualist thinking. There is
no 'subjective spark'. We are soulless automata, and i don't mean that
in a pejorative sense.

It's very (very!) simple. In your scenario, there are 2 people. One is
the uploaded continuation of the original person. The other is the
non-uploaded continuation. The very instant that their experiences
become different, they become 2 different people. If the upload process
had been destructive, then there would continue to be only one person.
There can be no such thing as 'delayed destructive uploading'. Either
the person is transferred from one substrate to another, or there is a
copy made, and now there are two. The instant that their experiences
differ, you have two distinct people, neither of whom could be expected
to be any happier to sacrifice their life than they were before.

Why do people who profess to not believe in souls have problems with this?

ben zaiboc