[ExI] TECH: Hypermediated Mind Map

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Mon Aug 4 17:20:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
> First, to answer Jef's question:  Hypermediated mind map would be a
> multi-media interface which introduces the basic mind mapping protocol with
> moving images (video clips) and audio.  It is also interactive, so the user
> can move about and even build his/her own wiki for private or public
> viewing.  The basic mapping, however, is not subject to alteration - it
> would remain constant or only editable by the author.  Currently there is no
> hard and fast definition that I know of.  If someone has one, please share.

Natasha, thanks for the clarification.  I suspect that Wikipedia's
Wikimedia platform may be your best bet at present, leveraging the
efforts of a quite large base of developers and users.  Look and feel
for your product could be much more media-intensive than what you see
on Wikipedia, dependent mainly on available bandwidth and storage.
Given your specification that the content be editable exclusively, a
viable corner-case might be distribution via (data) DVD.

As for highly effective collaborative mind-mapping, my hopes were
raised very high with the initial announcement of Nelson's Xanadu
project so many years ago, and have yet to be satisfied.  We're
getting there in bits and pieces, fits and starts, and while many
projects do well at opening the door widely to content contribution,
few if any provide explicitly for the meta-requirement of increasingly
intelligent selection of that content.

[Queue comments by Brent on the still untapped potential of canons and
camps, popularity and authority, on the web...]

- Jef